Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 11, 2011

You Do Not Know What You Are Asking

So a couple of the apostles, James and John, ask Jesus, "Can we sit at your right and left when you come into glory?"

Sounds like a good idea, doesn't it? Don't we live in a world where we think 'know what you want and go for it' is a good thing. If there are going to be seats, why not try to grab the two closest to the King? This seems to be the type behavior which gets rewarded.

Well, as the Gospel makes clear later on, when Jesus is crowned King, it isn't the typical coronation. The crown is woven thorns. The throne is a cross. The proclamation, Jesus Christ King of the Jews, even though true, is meant to be mockery. Jesus redefines 'coming into glory.' And, by the way, the ones on the right and on the left are being crucified as well.

No, my boys, you do not know what you are asking.
And neither do we.

I hear about riots across London and flash-mobs wreaking havoc closer to home. The media, driven by ratings, spends more time advocating for one side or another than they do analyzing and providing information. People struggle against all manner of problems, with nature, with each other, with themselves. There are tragedies and heart break. There is anger brewing in the land.

We are praying, too. Lots of us. We give God His 'to do' list and wait for His response.

"Lord, won't you bless me? Won't you make my team win? Won't you make sure I live in abundance? Won't you give me what I want, I don't ask for much! I just want you to do what I want."

Jesus replies, "You do not know what you ask for: Blessed are the Poor. Blessed are those who mourn. Blessed are you when they persecute you."

We are in the midst of the next great Turning. We are living now, in a time, when things are collapsing. We have not been deserted by God, but I do sense that He has handed us over to our choices. Christians, even conservative, orthodox Christians, are going to be purged along with everyone else. Our ignorance will be revealed and our sin scoured. It is a time of blessing and curse. It is a time of danger and rescue. It is a time when the secrets of the heart are revealed.

We really do not know what we ask. God knows what we need. We are all going to be taught by Him in the days ahead. "And if the days were not shortened by God, even the faithful would not stand." Pray for deliverance and salvation, not only for yourself, but for all...

1 comment:

  1. "We are living now, in a time, when things are collapsing. We have not been deserted by God, but I do sense that He has handed us over to our choices. Christians, even conservative, orthodox Christians, are going to be purged along with everyone else. Our ignorance will be revealed and our sin scoured. It is a time of blessing and curse. It is a time of danger and rescue. It is a time when the secrets of the heart are revealed."

    Amen. I second your "feeling" as I have felt the same way for a few years now. I know that some people are expecting a magic wand to wave and everything will go back to "normal"; I not only believe that the "wand" will not appear, but I believe we're only beginning to see the tip of the iceberg that lies ahead... that we cannot steer away from.

    I think we are called for such a time as this to learn and teach how to live godly lives in the midst of it all.

    ReplyDelete