Total Pageviews

Monday, August 1, 2011

Breeders vs. Baby Haters

At a clergy gathering in the Spring one of the Progressives said to me that his gay friends call people with children "breeders." I have run across this a few times in articles, generally written by more progressive types. I think it is clever and no doubt funny in a way. I am probably sensitive enough to the culture war issues that I do not find it "laugh out loud" comical. I also believe it is reflective of a bit of disdain for traditional marriage. Just a bit, mind you, but a bit nonetheless.

I do not give much thought to that phrase usually. I am pretty tied up with the three kids, especially the baby, and I have disengaged from the culture war battles in our church since we lost the 'war'.  Around these parts, everyone knows what I think and why I think it. They really do not care.

What raises the issue today is at the Y this morning I saw another news story on restaurants barring children under six. I understand the impulse and no one wants to hearing a screaming baby. I swear I have  had my fill. Even so, is there something else afoot? What is the general mood of a society that it says that children are not welcome. One theme of the report was that even people with kids wanted to eat in peace and were for the idea. Another theme was that parents are just not good at controlling their kids. But one commentator pointed out the large number of couples who have decided not to have children. These two-income couples are not wanting to see or hear children, apparently. Or at least enough of them to make this issue rather worrisome to me.

The demographic trends in the West are clear. People are not having children at replacement levels. In the decades ahead many nations will be populated by older adults with few young people. It is cultural suicide. It is also divine wrath. Choose life or choose death, God commands in Deuteronomy. Viewing married couples with children as 'breeders' may be one symptom. Refusing admittance of children to restaurants may be another. And then there is the abortion rate.

We need more data to know for sure what is going on. But one thing is clear. At least among certain classes in our society, anti-child is okay. My Lord Jesus said, "Let the children come to me." I hope the church will welcome them in His Name. I think this trend may be a bad thing. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Well, I think the term "breeders" is awful.

    Of course I grew up in a family that would not call children "kids" because "they're human beings, not goats."

    I have great concerns about the low birthrate, seeing what's happening in Europe these days. I think it's very sad that people can choose not to have children when it is possible for them. I had lunch at Chic-Fil-A today and enjoyed the little people all around very much. But I can also understand that certain types of restaurants might limit attendance by young children if the atmosphere is an important part of the experience. I guess I would think most people would not even want to take young children to such places, but not everybody thinks the same way. Maybe the restaurant had a bad incident with things being broken or something, who knows? It could even be a safety issue in some restaurants with their decor, like glass and fountains/pools, if the parents did not keep their children under control.

    But the overall trend is not a good thing, for sure. It's very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm close friends with some breeders. I like them and their children quite well. I think they do a wonderful job raising them. That being said, if I pay money to go out somewhere, I'd like it to be a "scream-free" zone. Not every place in adult society is child-welcoming, nor does it need to be. Just my $0.02 on an interesting question!

    ReplyDelete