Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hope

I watched a tv new station which I usually avoid. I wanted to hear another view point, one from a perspective different from my own. I was not disappointed. The commentators did nothing short of advocating for one party and attacking another. It was helpful for me to hear their beliefs trumpeted so loud and clear.

One irony of life is how often we are friendly with folks with whom we have such strong disagreement. I was working out and someone was blasting the tea party. I try to hear what people say. I get plenty of chances to talk. I do not want to debate, especially while on an exercise machine. I like the guy who was sharing his politics with me. I do not agree with him, even if I am not in the tea party.

The struggle for me is truth. It is hard to find it. There is so much I do not know. The liberal group was all advocating increased government spending to help the faltering economy. The tea party warns that one can only burn up so much debt before one goes under. The recent downgrade of US bonds was certainly a stunning reminder that debt produces consequences.

I also wonder if we spend too much time focused on wealth. The houses we live in and the mode of life we embrace eat up alot of resources. I wonder where Jesus would live and how He would vote (or if He would vote) if He lived today. What kind of church would He attend? A mega-Evangelical? A smaller community church? Mainline or Catholic? Of course, Jesus would be in a strange situation attending a Christian worship, being as how we worship HIM! But you get the point.

Making right choices and doing the right thing is important to me. I have processed so many competing ideas through the years. I have, in fact, been a leader who has actually told others 'the Way.' I believe I profess Christian truth. I am more sure of that than I am about my politics and economics. But there are many who tell me I am wrong, even evil....

Faith is trust. Trust that God is working, even if He is awful quiet about it. Trust that the mistakes will be covered over and the Lord of mercy will find a way. Trust that clarity and confusion are okay, because God is in His Heaven and He will prevail

No comments:

Post a Comment