Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Violence II

Yesterday's lectionary contained three stories which centered upon violence. After blogging I went to read through the lectionary texts for the next Sunday I preach. The Gospel picked up a theme to which I alluded: the Cross.

The other day the President was speaking to a group. I did not hear all of his speech, but I  heard enough. He kept repeating that "I provided a plan..." and "it is time to end partisan politics." I was struck by two things. One was his definition of 'partisan.' To be partisan, clearly, is to disagree with him. He said this over and over. The other thing is there are lots of people who agree with him. There are lots of people, many of them my friends, who would agree that the opposition to the President is based on petty, even evil, impulses.

I would much prefer to hear the President say that we have a disagreement. They hold to what they believe, but I am pushing what I believe. We are all attempting to do the best, and we read the situation differently. That, he claimed, was the kind of man he was, a 'new way' to do politics. Instead, we get the same demonization. I am disappointed that he ended up being more of the same.

Demonization is also behind the cross of Jesus. The elders and chief priests decide "Jesus must die." So they implement their power to hand Him over to Rome. In our world, such actions are not uncommon. Every day, many people are torutred, murdered and executed for their beliefs. In many lands, Christian faith is a capitol offense. Sadly, there are times when Christians abuse their power, too.

There is no clear delineation between church and state, religion and politics in the Biblical world. Emperors were gods. The citizen burned incense in civic worship. The power to enforce right belief was employed with vicious violence. Jesus was a victim of this, but also a conqueror. He rose, victorious over the false religions and secular powers. His disciples, those who carry their crosses and follow Him, do the same.

In my church, lawyers are used instead of gunmen. I pointed this out to the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal church. Like the President, she sees herself as the good one, dealing with the crazy right wingers. Like the Tea Party folks talking about Obama, the conservatives are equally harsh with her. Jesus says that some day He will return with the angels and "repay each one for what he has done." Judgment. I believe that she is wrong so I worry for her. I have told her that as well.

Today we have a twelve hour vigil of prayer at our church. We gather all day to ask God to make us the kind of church He wants us to be. We also interceed. We will pray for leaders of church and state. We pray for them because they need it. All of us will be judged. All of us. And our propensity to be blind to our faults and blinder to our adversaries virtues means that judgment may be unpleasant. So we cry for mercy and we seek the truth. It is especially important that we pray for those in error.

No comments:

Post a Comment