Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

More on Babies and Fiscal Issues

I want to make clear, following up on my "Breeders vs. Baby Haters" post a couple of days ago, that I do not advocate children being in every place. I understand the desire to have a "scream free zone." I think it is a parent's responsibility to exercise some critcal thinking. I also know there is a wide range of opinion as regards what is acceptable. My concern is more with the term "Breeders" and the wide-spread distaste for children in some quarters. It is hard to know exactly what is going on in a nation of hundreds of millions of people. I do think that there is an anti-life bent that is coming through from certain quarters.

I am also troubled by the idea that fiscal conservatives are terrorists. Now quotes have a funny way of being edited, and I myself have seen my own words snatched out of context and used to put me in a bad light. But the idea that someone who is dedicated to not increasing an already ridiculous amount of indebtedness is engaging in terrorist behavior is beyond silly. It is, to me, evil. I long ago grew weary with the use of the term "hater" which was pinned on anyone who believes in tradtional marriage. Really? Such language is a result of laziness. It is also a desire to demonize. The misuse of 'terrorist' as applied to debate opponents is equally unwelcome.

My vacation is drawing to a close. We have done little more than household chores. Largely, this is due to childcare responsibilities. Caring for a two month old (we crossed that mark Monday) is pretty much an around the clock thing. It is very time consuming and rules out most other options. It is hard work and there is little positive feedback at the time. The greatest value is it affords one the chance to actually engage in true love. It is an act of self gift and sacrifice. It is not, mind you, heroic. It is not, mind you, unique. It is not, mind you, a reason to think more highly of myself. It is, however, the way things are.

There is much uncertainty hanging over our heads regarding this little guy. We feed, change diapers and care for him. We pray, alot. We recognize how much we have to do and, paradoxically, how little we can do for him. As my other son said some time ago, "Why do they call babies a bundle of joy, they seem to be a bundle of worries."

I want him to grow up in a society which is not bankrupt, morally or financially. I want him to live in a place where he feels valued and where he has reason to believe that if he works hard he can make a good life for himself. I am less secure in trusting the future will be like that for him. However, I have a deeper, further ranging hope as well: God's Kingdom. Perhaps, paradoxically, growing up in a 'worse' world he will help his values and beliefs sharpen. Perhaps he will be more Christian than those of us whose faith has been filtered through the opulence characteristic of middle class life the last couple of decades. It is a mystery to ponder on this hot, hot Wednesday in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment