Total Pageviews

Friday, June 10, 2011

Weiner, Graduation, and Original Sin

I spoke yesterday with a school teacher at a local high school. He shared his experience at the recent graduation. His commentary, both biting and comical, opened a window into the 'goings-on' in our wider community. It has long been a problem to make graduation ceremonies respectful and dignified. There is a baseness to much of American culture which seems to delight in displays which are disruptive and inappropriate. The hooting and hollering is frequently done by parents. It is embarassing and irritating.

This teacher said that his role was to help with the procession. As they prepared to start, several parents were standing in the aisle, blocking the way. He asked them to move. "Why?" they responded. After explaining that the aisle needed to be clear so that the students could process into the auditorium unimpeded, a mother replied, "You can't tell me to move." That about sums it up: No one can tell me what to do. The story ended with a deputy (the real deal with badge and gun) arguing with the beligerants. [rant alert: You never see extensive news coverage of that sort of thing. We are led to believe by the media that the police constantly pick on people and are abusvive, we rarely hear about the endless disrespect which they endure. Dealing with boneheads like this lady would put me over the line every now and then, too.]

The problem at graduation is it is a magnified opportunity for people to say "Look at ME!!!" In our culture, this sort of "self expression" and self focus is rampant. The sex scandal of Representative Weiner is but another example. He is clearly someone who works out. Sending shots of his unclad body to assorted females is certainly another example of "look at me." He is also someone who is pretty obsessed with the flesh. That is nothing new. We have seen such sexcapades in the news on a regular basis. Currently he claims he will not step down. We have been through this before, too. It would not be surprising if in a few days he will do just that. In general, it seems, the process unfolds that way. The paradox is Weiner is engaging in behavior which is not uncommon. Now that it has come to light he is suffering some blow back, but one wonders in a society where so many people are doing the same thing how much it will cost him. Perhaps, like a former President, he will weather the storm. In fact, some pundits are criticizing the old morality which puts such a premium on sexual purity. [This is, after all, the modern world!!]

I am always uneasy writing about, preaching on or discussing these sorts of things. You see, I have sinned, too. I have been boorish. I have been inappropriate. I have thought and done all manner of things which I do not want on national TV. Sure, Weiner and the beligerant parent stepped out further than I ever have, but I have also stepped out of line. I think this is a major point of Jesus' teaching. "Let the one without sin cast the first stone" and "Take the plank out of your own eye before you search for the speck in your brother's eye" are part of His core teaching. He had His finger on an issue in Palestine 30AD that resonates in Memphis 2011. Humans come in all shapes, shades and sizes. We live in disparate circumstances. We differ in education and socio-economic status. Yet we share this in common: we are all able to look at the other and see their sin while being blind to our own.

I think many of my fellow citizens need to rethink their behaviors in light of social expectations. There comes a time when we need to be respectful. I think Representative Weiner needs to repent of his sin and come to the Lord for healing, transformation and renewal. But I think primarily they serve as a reminder to me of my own darkness and my own need for Jesus Christ to rule me as Lord. It is tempting to believe that our society is in decline. I frequently find myself thinking that. But there has never been a person in any time or place untouched by Original Sin. All of us, each and everyone, is the problem. This does not mean that we turn a blind eye to the public displays of sin around us, no we must confront them. It does, however, mean that that confrontation must be permeated with our own self examination and awareness of the darkness of our own hearts.

All have sinned and all have fallen short. Each of us is the problem. Jesus is the solution. We are called to confess our own sin and repent of our own evil. We are called to respond to God's grace by a reformed and renewed life. Until then, our prophetic words ring hollow and our critiques smell of hypocrisy. The witness and ministry of the church will be more effective when we do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment