Total Pageviews

Friday, June 17, 2011

Pondering the Jewish Study Bible

I picked up a Jewish Study Bible last month. Yesterday, preparing a homily on Genesis, I began to use it in earnest. I was struck by a couple lines on page ix:
  • at no period has the text been interpreted in a monolithic fashion. If anything marks Jewish biblical interpretation it is the diversity of approaches employed and  the multiplicity of meaninsg produced... there is no official Jewish interpretation of the bible.
Perhaps to a lesser degree, it seems the same is true of Christianity. As a lifelong student of Christian theology and church history there is one thing I see over and over again: disagreement. Face it, there are not dozens of denominations because we are monolithic! But the serious question is how does the Bible serve as authority when there are such divergent interpretations? When two people read the same text and draw opposite and conflicting conclusions, is there not a right answer?

I have wrestled with this for most of the past decade as I watch the Episcopal church in particular, but many churches in general, use (and misuse) Scripture. I have read enough about rabbinic arguments to know that there is a fluidity and openness to Jewish exegesis. I see the same in Christian exegesis. We often have to "agree to disagree." Yet, there are times when a compromise is not possible. There are issues which require more than a shoulder shrug and pleasant smile.

Part of the issue is emphasis. I am doubtful that any rabbi thought that worship of other gods was okay. The debate comes down to when does one cross the line. It is in the gray areas that we are most divided. There are also debates on things which matter a great deal and other things which are of lesser import. God's revelation has not been so finely tuned as to rule out questions open to debate. On the other hand, everything is not up for grabs. We swing between these two extremes.

Today I am writing a homily which I will preach this weekend at three services. I have an obligation to speak the truth. I have a responsiblity to hold my parish accountable to God's word. I also know that I am not infallible. I realize that there are two dozen directions which the text could take me. The key is whatever direction I take, the truth is central. The truth is big enough for a diversity of angles. The life of faith is large and complex. But there are limits. There is a place which is outside the lines. The challenge of life is living within the boundaries God intends and pushing past the boundaries which are not of God. It is only in a faithful community that we can find the right balance. A community which stretches across time and place, embracing the voices the wise and holy in every place and time. Our challenge is not unique, people struggle everywhere. God is faithful. He blesses our desire to please Him. He seeks us even as we seek Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment