Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

On Love and Marriage 1

A couple of weeks ago I was honored to officiate at the wedding of a young couple. The woman, someone I have known since she was in seventh grade, is a beautiful, bright, holy person who is currently working to serve the needs of the world's poorest peoples. Her new spouse, whom I know only in passing, is a bright young engineer doing esoteric studies at a big university. They met at church camp and are people of faith.They are lovely people who come from lovely families.

In preparing the sermon I was aware that most people there were not Episcopalians. We were at a family home in rustic Arkansas, a gorgeous setting, and many of the attendees were people I have never met.I opted to reflect on Love and Marriage, with special attention the the Trinity and Incarnation. This weekend I have another marriage and so marriage is on my mind. I thought my brief reflections would be interesting blogging material. I guess you can let me know!

The summary is this. Self love is the first and foundational love. Love of self moves, eventually, to a love of another. This love of another can be selfish but it can also broaden to include others. As the love expands beyond our personal 'connections' into the world, it becomes mission and service. This three step process (self-another-others) is not automatic nor is it easy. It can be reversed. However, it is a major component of my own theology of marriage. I hope tomorrow to look more intently at self love.

No comments:

Post a Comment