Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Egypt and the Jews

I heard that an angry mob attacked the Jewish embassy the other day. My understanding is the ambassador was able to escape. I heard Egyptian police were not helpful in the process. It appears to be another sign of Israel's precarious situation.

With that in mind, I was struck by the first reading from the Revised Common Lectionary at our Saturday evening eucharist today. It is the famous story of the Exodus. I do not know, but would not be surprised to find out, that some Egyptians do not believe the Exodus really happened or do not think it mattered at all. Certainly, the crowds chasing the ambassador out of his embassy would not see themselves as in conflict with God's people.

The Exodus text (14:19-31) is simple in its presentation. "the Lord saved Israel," "Israel saw the great work that the Lord did," "so the people feard the Lord and believed the Lord." There are some who see the current events in the Middle East with anticipation. Is this, they ask, the beginning of the end of the world? I do not know. Rumors of war are in the air. If it isn't the end of the world it is certainly possible that it is going to be a bad moment for the world.

Yet God is the God who saves. We know that and can trust it. I love the Psalm verse, "pray for the peace of Israel." So I do. I hope tonight you will as well.

2 comments:

  1. I'm one of "those". When I read the news this morning about the attack, I once again asked "is this part of the prelude?" And then I am reminded that all things we witness are part of the prelude. It does seem quite startling however, to see the few ally agreements (as fragile as they are) fray the way they are.
    Prayers for Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for the peace of Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete