Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Difference between a Good Day and a Bad Day

Tuesday was not a great day. Dental and doctor appointments were less than positive. The day was long and exhausting. I got a call that my aunt in Chicago was in ICU. I was tired and it seemed that everything that day was not good. Of course, armed with the knowledge that others have it much harder, I was able to say (and mean it), "things could  be worse, much worse." 'Not good' is relative. I gave thanks I did not experience worse!

Wednesday morning came too early (but I went off to work anyhow). The Bible study was awesome. We read 2 Kings 17 and it was loaded with power and a revelation of the heart of God. I cannot say that the study of the "historical books" of the Old Testament have always been so exciting. Yesterday was one of the best.

In the late afternoon I was going through the mail. Most of my mail is not interesting. Usually someone is asking me for something, generally money and time. I was surprised to open a letter from someone I did not know. As I read it, I remembered. The letter began "In March I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer." She shared that a mutual friend had tried to bring her to St. Andrews for the Saturday night healing eucharist, but scheduling had not worked out. So she wrote to thank me for meeting with her during the week, "though I was not a member of your congregation." She mentioned that she was unsure what was going to happen in the healing service, but that it had been a powerful experience. Her cancer was 4x5cm and had spread to her lymph nodes all the way up her neck. The prognosis was bleak. I invited her to envision angels of God attacking the cancer during her treatment, which is something she told me she did.

As I have shared before, our healing ministry does not bat 1.000. We have had some remarkable miracles, but have also suffered many disappointments. As I read this letter, it was a reminder of why we do this. As people face suffering and death there is great value in experiencing the love and care of the Lord through His church. Sometimes, many times, the greatest healing miracles are spiritual and emotional. People find power to face the death which gains hold on them. They find peace, even joy, and have a profound sense of encounter with the Unseen God. Reconciliation with God and others is, without doubt, the central healing.

For this woman, it was just that. She admitted to "some dark days" but "I now know God never left my side." THAT is healing. THAT is salvation. So the rest of the story is icing on the cake. She is cancer free. She is in remission. She said even the doctor is surprised...

The heart of her message was that she had to "start thanking God for having healed me by faith" and then wait to see it. She thanked, she waited and she saw. It is a marvelous joy.

Heal and save are the same Greek verb (sozo). They are overlapping realities, all related to the concept of being rescued. Rescued from darkness, illness, death of body, mind and spirit. Sometimes salvation/healing is in subtle forms. It is a reminder that when faced with a 'bad' day we can still decide to be thankful it wasn't worse. That insight is a gift from God. Sometimes, salvation/healing is more amazing. Like stage four cancer being flushed out of a body by a merciful God and a woman learning His name once again, Emmanuel (God is with us). That too is a gift from God. I pray each reader, today, has an experience of salvation/healing!

No comments:

Post a Comment