Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Churchy" baby

Last Thursday I took our baby to the healing service. He has some issues with his eyes. Prior to the time of healing prayer there is a communal celebration of Evening Prayer. Although we were late, we managed to be there for most of it. Afterward I handed him over to the prayer group and they prayed over him. I did not join them instead I knelt in prayer. When it was over I sort of reflected on it all. As I sat there pondering the mysteries of life, it occurred to me that my son, at three months old, had already attended Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer and Holy Eucharist. It made me wonder, how many people in this parish have done that in the ten years I have been here. The answer is very few.

Our normal Morning Prayer attendance is between four and seven. There are sometimes a few more and rarely less. Evening Prayer is about the same. The total group who actually attend would be about twenty folks. The normal parishioner has never attended either. What does that mean? Clearly, we are busy folks and the "village church" is many miles away from most of our homes. I travel 3.1 miles to get here. I live closer than most. But I do not think that "time" is the sole issue. I also think that most people do not really think going to morning and evening prayer is important.

It does raise a question in my mind. Does God care if we go to church? Am I doing my son a service or disservice by raising him in an environment where faith is connected to church? I am very sure that it is a good thing. I have no doubt that the Bible assumes communal faith. But that has not translated into regular daily worship around here. And it is not reflected in our Sunday gathering either.

Baby son is definitely being born and raised in a different time. This time of year, it is common to see e-mails telling us that "today's college freshmen grew up in a world..." They then inform us of all the things that we older folks remember that happened more than 18 years ago. I recall when I read one years ago and it was about telephones not having a dial. Well, I wonder what 18 years from now we will say about the church. I do not doubt God will continue to be at work among us. Nor do I fear that believers will not be able to pray together. But I hear that no prayers will be allowed at the 9-11 memorial. I hear how the Christian faith is being marginalized and pushed out in subtle ways every day. I just think it is going to be more counter cultural to be a person of faith. Whether that is better or worse I dare not say. I do know it will be more similar to the situation in the New Testament.

No comments:

Post a Comment