Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

All Tied Up

My son is a Cardinal fan. Last night, the Cardinals' back was against the wall. They had lost the previous night to the worst team in the league, and early in the game they were losing 5-0. A game behind with two to play meant there was no room for error. A couple of big innings and some solid relief pitching helped them to a 13-6 win. They are now tied for the last playoff spot with one game to go. Ironically, in the AL two other teams are also knotted up. On the last day of the season there are four teams fighting it out, each with a chance to play into the Fall.

What is most interesting about this exciting finish is how unexpected it is. In the beginning of September there was a wide division between these teams. It appeared that the season was over for the Cardinals (and Rays) as they were so far behind. Then two inexplicable things happened. The Cardinals and Rays began to win at a very high rate while Atlanta and Boston fell apart. I do not know how it will end, but I do know there is a chance we will see two one game play-offs. Amazing.

So what does this have to do with the Journey of Faith? Well, the last couple of days I have blogged on issues in the Epsicopal Church. I have shared my thoughts about the ongoing errors which I think this church has embraced. The question that I have been asked repeatedly (by friend and foe) for many years is, "Why are you still in the Episcopal Church?" Many people have made it clear that things are not going to get better, they will only get worse. Now church life is not a baseball game, but the unexpected is part of both. [Lest I be labeled a blithering optimist (which would be very funny to anyone who knows me) I am keenly aware that my favorite team, which was closer to being in the race than the Cardinals a month ago is buried a dozen games out of it. I know that the 'unusual' does not usually occur! I experience the pain of losing on a regular basis.]

As I look on the ecclessial landscape, I am aware that things look bleak. As I survey my church and my place in it, it looks bleaker. The people in power in our church do not embrace me or what I teach. Though things are quieter now, I have little doubt that the next steps are being taken to reshape the church and its teaching. Yet I also know that one cannot project the future and predict how things will turn out. Sometimes the unexpected happens. Just when the star strikes out and all hope seems lost, a bench player smashes a two run homer and the game is back in reach. It happens.

So in the face of many challenges and a dozen reasons to give up hope, I cling to faith in God. Will it all turn out well for me and mine? Based on the current 'standings' it does not look that way. There are many indicators that losses will pile up and we will go down in defeat. But there is always the possibility of the amazing, the unexpected, the wonderful surprise. I am not sure how God works in all this. I am sure that God does work in all this. Stranger things have happened. Hearts and Minds have been converted. The Holy Spirit has snatched up a remnant and done a mighty work. People get healed and saved. Attendance booms and missionary zeal explodes. The hungry get fed and the poor hear Good News. Maybe today the turn around will start. The thing is, one only knows it as the turnaround much later. So I commit to one more day: praying, studying, teaching, counseling. One more day. With eyes on the Lord to await His deliverance and salvation!

No comments:

Post a Comment