Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day

My mom is dead. She died in slow motion between December 20, 1993 and March 20 in 1994. A week and a half after that first anniversary of her death my daughter was born, making my wife a new mom. I therefore only had to miss one Mother's Day celebration.

Mother's Day can be a tough memorial. Many people do not have a good relationship with their mothers. It can be a time of guilt or tension. I know several woman who are not mothers, but desperately wish they were. It is the kind of day which makes them withdraw because it is like an open wound. People like me are able to love a mother-in-law or celebrate with a wife/mother of my children, but we won't be able to say, "I love you" to the lady who gave us birth.

In our church service we will take a moment to bless all the mothers in the room. Comically, there will always be some man who, not paying attention, will simply stand up at that time to receive the blessing with them. Blessing mothers is one of the things a priest can do. Sometimes I wonder what exactly takes place when I bless someone. What is it that God does? I hope it is something good. Perhaps we will find out someday. At least it is a moment for us to acknowledge the incredible sacrifice women make in order to bring life into the world.

With the arrival of our son only a few weeks away, I ponder, once more, the most amazing bodies of woman. Watching that baby wiggling around inside of my wife is truly a miracle. I sometimes wonder about the planning meeting in heaven before creation took place. Whose idea was pregnancy and birth? What other options were considered and then discarded? I do not know, but I do know that God made something beautiful when He made birth. There certainly is a glow about a woman heavy with child.

There is sacrifice as well. There is a physical and mental toll carrying a child to term. I preach on struggle and suffering (First Peter cahpter one) tonight and tomorrow. I rarely shy away from talking about the reality of the pain. But Peter indicates that the pain is not for naught. Being a mom may be the hardest thing in the world to do well. It certainly is a burden which can break a woman's heart. The difficulties, though, are not the last word. God redeems each tear. God blesses each mom. There is a reason why the church is called a mother. There is a reason why mothering is held up as the highest human occupation.

Today we bless the mothers and thank them. We also remember those who want to but can't, those who are sad or in pain this day. Like all beautiful days, it can also sharpen the wounding blade of reality. But it is well to remember we are reborn to HOPE and the day will come when every tear is wiped away and every wound is healed. The Mother Heart of the Father God will be revealed. The love of God will make all things well. The Father will bless each human mother who faithfully spent herself. It will  be a celebration where no one present feels left out and no one will have ambivalent feelings. It will be in the Kingdom of Heaven. Today may your celebration of Mother's Day be a foretaste of that heavenly banquet!

No comments:

Post a Comment