Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 28, 2011

chill of night

I was in Jackson Tn last night, watching a baseball game. The recent cold front which wreaked havoc across the country and unleashed heavy rains here locally had left chilled temperatures in its wake. It was odd feeling slightly chilled, aware of the impending 90+ degree forcast for the next few days. I knew it was going to be hot even as I knew, at that moment, it wasn't hot yet. It was almost chilly.

My phone rang and I assumed it was my wife checking on the score. I did not recognize the number, and a woman's voice asked, "Is this Jeff? Jeff from St. Andrew's?" I identified myself and she said, "I need you to pray." It was a parishioner who is also a friend from high school. I asked if it was her father (he has not been well). No, she said, it was Steve. He did not wake up.

Steve, her former husband, was also her high school boyfriend. Steve was one of my friends, too. We spent much time together in our Senior year. It was two weeks ago that I got a message that Jim had died. Another classmate. Jim and Steve. Monday is the first anniversary of the death of Sheila. She was a parishioner and taught at the elementary school. She taught both my kids and both my kids loved her. So did everyone else. we were the same age. She was a beautiful person, totally. I had the honor of celebrating her funeral service. It was sad because of the loss. There is hope, too. My whole family still misses her terribly.

My dad died twelve years ago this weekend. Memorial Day was when he had always gathered all the grandkids for a weekend of pure decadence. (That's right, donuts for breakfast and endless fun, games and junk food!!!) My two came too late to enjoy that fun, although my daughter did get to have a mini-version once. My son spent one Memorial Day weekend with dad. Dad's last. Son was just shy of two. I still can see him, tapping my dad saying, "grampa, grampa"....

Memorial Day is a time to remember those who gave their lives for our freedoms. My dad was in the navy. I grew up around people who had served. A couple were war veterans. SO many livfes have been handed over in wars. Terrible carnage and loss. So many suffered so much, for us.

Last night, a pleasant night, had a chill. It was a reminder of death. Some people prefer not to think about death. It is hard to ignore when you get a phone call that someone else you graduated with has died.

This weekend we need to be aware that life is a gift. We need to spend ourselves for others. There are many ways to do that. We also need to be greatful for each day. There is no way to know if today is the last day.

Jesus, the resurrected one, the dead-but-now-He-is-alive one, reminds us that the chill is not the whole story. Last night it was chilly, today hot and sunny. Some day death, but in the future LIGHT and SON! Never remember loss without embracing hope of life. As if to sacramentalize that, little baby boy lies within my wife, ready to burst out at any time and declare, "LIFE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment