Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 21, 2011

More Divine Intervention

It happened again, Thursday. We were studying the Book of Tobit, reading the chapter containing the Marriage Prayer. It is a wonderful model of Jewish prayer in the Bible, and therefore, a handy outline for our own prayer: Praise of God, thanks, reminder of God's promises, request. Lots of praise and thanks. Many couples use it at their weddings (including the wedding I had last Saturday.)

One of the lines, "I do not take her for lust but for noble purpose" led us into a long discussion about the purpose of marriage and the definition of marriage. The question of reproduction came up. I gave a brief outline of the change in understanding of what marriage is. Most were shocked at how we arrived at today's bitter battles over marriage. Once babies are out of the equation, quite simply, anything goes.

One comment that was made: "we live in bad times."

Another conversation was about the end of the world. Some guy has announced that the world will end this weekend, I think it's today. (That is why I wanted to get this last blog out before the Rapture!) I have not really followed the story, I do not believe this man knows anything about God's time table. As I told the class, "I just gave you our summer Bible study schedule, so what do you think I expect to happen?" But it has generated a great deal of interest and apparently many people have made plans for Jesus to return by selling stuff off and buying insurance to take care of their pets.

After Bible study, we celebrate eucharist. The readings are assigned in the lectionary. I never read them ahead. I am always able to come up with a brief reflection after I read/hear them. So when I read "make the most of the present time, we live in an evil age" I immediately thought of the comment above. Then the Gospel talked about, "you do not know the day nor the hour." O my!!! Two readings which were clearly reflective of our conversation. It was like God said, "Here is what I think."

We were reminded that we do live in evil times, but that is the state of the world in all times. We were reminded that the world will end, but no one knows when. Just prepare each day but avoid silly predictions.
We were reminded that so often, our Bible study discussions are connected to the lectionary readings for Mass or Morning/Evening Prayer.
We were reminded that God is at work among us. Intervening in our lives. Touching our conversations. Revealing Himself. Talking to us.
We were reminded, keep your eyes open, your ears open, your heart open: God is among us.

No comments:

Post a Comment