Total Pageviews

Friday, June 22, 2012

Perdition

I am working through the Sermon on the Mount for next year's Bible Study class. Yesterday, at the end of the day, I had reached Mt 7:13-14. Jesus said, "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction. The Greek word, apoleia (long o), is a feminine noun. It is derived from appolumi, which is in turn derived from a composite. All along the way the words mean the same: death, kill, destroy, render useless, etc. At some point the word perdition popped up. I looked that word up and read "a state of eternal damnation."

While Jesus does not say it is hopeless, He does imply, at least in this quotation, that the future does not look good. "The gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few." Narrow, hard, few... My experience in the church has been that people tend to respond to these words in one of two ways. They ignore them or they apply them to someone else. The first group, who populate mainline churches or are non-attending "believers," assume God's mercy (LOVE!!!). Hence, any indication of a bleak future following the Judgment is deemed unlikely. Hell is reserved for Hitler, Stalin, and that mean guy down the road who gives me grief. Hell is populated only with the worst of the worst. Heaven on the other hand is crammed full with people enjoying family reunions with lost love ones. God provides all the fun you can imagine and we relax and enjoy the benefits of "making it." The second group, usually based on their faith in Jesus, calmly discuss the annihilation of 99% of humanity with an attitude remarkable in its indifference. "Yep, God made the rules. We are all sinners. We are dirty, filthy creatures. And only those who know/believe Jesus are going to heaven. And I am one of them. So everything is cool." Perhaps my favorite thing they say, "I don't know about anyone's salvation but mine. I know I am going. I do not know about anyone else."

In a few minutes, after posting this, I will deal with false prophets (v15-20) followed by the warning against self-deception (21-23). There Jesus said, "Not everyone who says to me 'Lord, Lord' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." Ooooopppss! Looks like Jesus forgot we are saved by faith alone. Of course, there are those who interpret "does the will of my Father" as "believing in Jesus" (there is a verse in John which makes that possible). But Matthew does not seem to think that is what Jesus means. He goes on to quote that people will prophesy, cast out demons and do mighty works in Jesus' name--but still not be welcome.

I believe that faith saves. I define faith more broadly than some. I do not think that Hell is empty and I do not believe that only a handful of really famously evil people (and the unknowns who populate my life and really tick me off) are there. On the other hand, I do not know think we can "good works" our way into the narrow gate. I think there is no ladder to climb (except Jesus, see John's Gospel again). I am not sure exactly what my belief is on it all. Eternal life in the Kingdom is God's plan. Some are in. Some are not. Human choice factors in. God's Judgment is determinative. There is reason to hope (NT is full of good reasons). There is reason to be measured and concerned about the possibility of perdition (including the smug "believer" who is sure they are in). Crawling on my knees, confessing my sins and begging for mercy. That is my approach. Aware that I have a need to find the narrow gate, the hard way, the journy of faith in Jesus. Of course, much of the time I just look like anyone else. Sort of living and not paying much attention. That is the kicker. Few of us are focused.

But God is. So we hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment