Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Greatest Conflict Ever

Apparently there is great concern because the political divisions among Americans has reached its greatest point in a long time. I have a few doubts. Lately we  have heard a great deal about cannibals. Every day someone is taking a bite out of someone else and it is broadcast nationwide. That is what makes it seem like it is going on all over. Whether or not it is more widespread is less clear. It is probably not documented enough. Likewise, it is unclear to me that we are more divided. I grew up during Viet Nam and it sure felt more divided then.

I am clear that there are strong division, I am a "field commander" in the church culture wars. However, there seems to be less anger and fussing among us today then there was five years ago. Mainly because "us" has changed. There are younger folks coming in with different worries, concerns and agendas. I think the agenda of media is to highlight those things which have the most kick, and conflict has a lot of kick.

I do not want to minimize. I don't. I think the issues are serious. It is just that I think so much of the conflict is generated by widespread availability of all manner of media. I also think that life is cyclical. And I believe that things will change, are changing, and have changed. I have written before about generations and the book The Fourth Turning. The author has a blog http://blog.lifecourse.com/ and if you roll down a couple of entrees there is an interesting one on the Catholic Church in Spain and its efforts to reach the young generation. Prior to that is a stunning assessment of The Avengers, the summer blockbuster (I have not seen it yet). He writes about Captain America (pure WWII generation) vs. Iron Man (the Gen X)   http://blog.lifecourse.com/2012/05/avengers-assemble/
and the different styles each has. Captain America is a hero whose time is coming back. The Millenials (current college/HS crowd) are a different kind of kid. They are more community minded and service oriented. They are more traditional. They are more like the kids my grandparents were.

I believe we live in a world in flux. We go back and forth like a grandfather's clock. There is a swing, a corrective, a swing in the other direction, a corrective, etc. We will never get it right here and now. Won't happen. The ideologies of each period will wax and wane. The Christian faith (my concern) also goes through various mutations. Each one not quite right, each one grasping some, but missing the rest.

I have my beliefs and my leanings. The priest who mentored me, Fr. John Atkinson, died today. I was in High School in his parish and he taught me much. When I was ordained, he worked a deal to have me assigned with him. I think he always saw me as a son. We worked for two years, then I left. Since then we have been in contact but see each other rarely. His politics was very different from mine. There was plenty of chance to disagree. But I loved him, so we didn't. That is the way it was. Was there conflict? No, just disagreement. In the end, what we shared in common was more important to me.

My kids and the people I shaped probably do not agree with me about everything. That is not the point. Seeking the truth, we must remain humble. Truth matters. So does love. So do many things. I am not shy about voicing opinions and I can be plenty strong in an argument or debate. I believe in taking a stand. I also know that trying to ramp up "the greatest conflict ever" is often self flattery. It is a way to convince me that I matter. It is preoccupation with being #1, the biggest, the worst, the most, the best.... So pray for truth and seek it, but try to be open to hear. And I understand that things are always changing: getting better, getting worse. Always. And the battle is never won. Until Jesus returns!

No comments:

Post a Comment