Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

God is True

In my previous post I shared some of the frustration we experience in a world of unlimited information, much of it inaccurate. The statistical processes are quite important. In buying life insurance several numbers on my physical meant that I had to pay more money each month for the coverage. One of those numbers, my age, is something I can do nothing about. Life insurance for most 20 year olds is remarkably cheaper than it is for 50 year olds. And with each passing year the cost creeps higher.

Another issue is tests you take. You start with your age, answer a bunch of questions, (do you smoke? how often do you exercise? etc.) and at the end of the test (after adding or subtracting years based on each anwer) they give you a number which indicates how long you can expect to live. Some things you have no conrol over (parents age at death) while other things you do (weight). Some people who had a number like 93 will not live that long. An accident does not factor in. Others may outlive the lower number which they have. But regardless of the accuracy of the test (and I assume it is pretty accurate) every answer assumes the same thing; we will die.

How do we face mortality? How do we face the question: what is the point? In the end, I think, God is the answer. He is also the Questioner. Too often we think we are the ones to whom He answers.

I do not believe God fits neatly in our theologies. I believe He is bigger than our thoughts can imagine. But I do believe He is in contact with us; through prophets and Torah, through the Bible and above all through Jesus. God is true, even if He is true beyond our understanding.

I do not have any explanation, rather a declaration of faith. I need to make those for myself, if not for others. I need to remember what I believe and I need to speak it. GOD is true. He is truer than truth. In the midst of confusion and uncertainty that is the one thing we can count on.

No comments:

Post a Comment