Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Teach Me to Pray 4 Beginners

All pray-ers are beginners. No one ever "makes it" as a professional. So say the people who  have been best at it and who have spent their lives doing it for long periods of time each day. That said, there are some who are more beginners than others...

Yesterday we touched on the disipline aspect. I want to emphasize again and again that God is doing something even as we are. The active and passive element cannot be forgotten or overlooked.

Weeding out the sin in our life is a step. Taking up the practice of praying is a step. The use of words is the beginning of prayer. Then one moves to meditation. In the end, silence. As I shared earlier, I tried to short circuit the process. I wanted to go right to the end. Not available....

So what is the process for beginners. Speaking words. I think saying prayers is a good idea. In my early stage I used to read the book Prayers  by Michel Quiost. I think he was a French priest. They were modern psalms, filled with humanity and angst and raw honesty. That is the first quest, to me, of a person learning to pray. Cut out the BS. Stop pretending you are something that you aren't. Do not try to manipulate God or impress Him. This is one reason why I hate to be told I said a beautiful prayer. A beautiful prayer is an honest prayer. The words, "Help me Lord" uttered in hope and trust are more beautful than the poetic, multi-syllabic rendering of a disengaged heart. So be honest. Be true.

Prayer is standing naked with God (back in the Garden). It is a return to Adam/Eve in open relation with our God (made available to us by the Blood of the Lamb). I do not think technique enters here. Just honesty. Do not worry about what to say or how to say. Speak into the empty space/darkness/quiet/unknown (i.e. The INVISIBLE GOD). Speak your true thoughts an feelings. Outloud is better than silent in your head.

In addition, pick up the psalms. If Jesus prayed psalms on the cross as He died I have to think there is a place for that practice among us as well. Find psalms that really speak your heart. Learn to say thanks and praise. Find psalms that praise God well and read them outloud, to Him, and focus your attention on the words. And make them your own. Another practice. List things you are thankful for. Articulate it and tell God. Would you miss your fingers? Then thank God for them, each and every one. Do you like ice cream? Then thank God it exists! Do you like breathing? Thank God your lungs work and your heart and your veins and etc.

Remember, the ultimate goal is to abide in Him as He abides in us. Communion. That is where we are headed. Prayer, in the beginning, is striking up the conversation. But be real. Be true. Do not play games with the Lord. And be patient, learning to pray takes time and effort. But it is also a gift of God. Confused, that is fine. Trust Him, He will do it, and get to work!

4 comments:

  1. I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “Accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope many read this blog. It's honest and truthful.

    ReplyDelete