Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Politics and Faith

I am an information consumer. I like to read. I like to learn new things. I am not sure I am terribly disciplined or refined in my consumption. At times I am not very deep in my reflection. I am a child of my age, I guess. Even so, I do try to think about things and I do try to break out of my demographic and think through things. So today is some scatter shot thoughts.
  • News people really shape and form a story. The way they use content is astounding. For example, in the Sanford shooting, when did Hispanics become White? Keep an eye out to see the next time someone is identified as a White Hispanic. I think the shooting in Sanford is a sad tragedy. I do not know what happened, but I am thinking it was avoidable. However, the large number of reported break-ins in the area have certainly seemed to fade from the story. The gun use is a huge problem, but the crime issue drives the reality, too.
  • Being against abortion is a war on women? I really do not get this line of reasoning. A "war"? Last I checked the only ones dying in the abortion issue are babies. If there is a war it is on unborn children. We are long passed any discussions of this issue. If someone thinks being against killing babies is evil then I think their minds are warped.
  • Speaking of the war on women, what is going on with the attacks on stay at home moms? I have often heard that 'talking points' are intended to advance an agenda without revealing it. Perhaps we have progressed enough with a certain agenda that people feel free to say what they think about stay at home moms. There really are two cultures which do not see eye to eye.
  • Every week there is a new story about iminent world threatening crises in Israel or Korea. Eventually, something is going to happen. Yet, I do wonder. I am a worry wart and the endless stories for years have kept me quite agitated! On the other hand, like the boy who cried wolf, the stories are beginning to appear unreliable.
  • Why would a candidate who is being vilified for his wealth and caricatured as 'out of touch' with real people decide it was a good time to build an expensive elavator for his garage in a vacation home? I do not doubt he has the right to, but the choice to do so is not a proof that he is a good decision maker.
  • Speaking of out of touch, why would the President say that he and his wife did not have the luxury of her staying at home when he was making $100,000+? Was it because his wife was making $300,000?
  • The GSA scandal is an illustration of why many of us have qualms about government. The rap videos of government employees laughing about all the money thay have (from us) just did not seem so funny to me. Of course, now the spin masters of the two parties will go to work, making sure we never solve the problem, "just elect us!"
  • All of which reminds me why I pray each day, "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done." Our country is a better place to live than most of the world. There are lots of good people trying to do good things. Even so, we are a mess and we need a Savior to deliver us. In the meantime, we live in conflict in the world of politics. Come Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment