Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Walking Dead

The last few years there has been an absolute glut of vampire books and tv shows. I have noticed a similar spike in zombies lately. There was even an episode on vampires vs. zombies on a military history show recently, which analyzes military effectiveness of different warriors from different times/places. All this raises the question in my mind, "what does it mean?"

Symbolism and allegory play a huge role in the Scriptures. The Church Fathers, following Paul, embraced typological reading of the Old Testament as the primary way to find the story of Jesus in those sacred writings. I think that the 'fulfillment of Scripture' is often times a typological reading. Having an "analogical imagination" is a key to doing theology. I do not think I am especially gifted in that area but I have made an effort to actually try to work towards it. With that in mind, I want to reflect upon some of the symbolism in these cultural horror icons.

The Christian faith says that we will die and rise again, but we are commanded to die to self. Our source of salvation is the blood of Jesus, given for our life. The Vampire is dead but risen. In a sense the vampire is in an improved human state (more power, speed, and attractiveness), however, the vampire is diminished, too. He feeds on the blood of others. His interactions are homicidal, he takes from others so he can live. I think, at some level, the vampire story is the alternative to the Christian story. There is a (mythic) sense where it communicates that we gain life by taking from others (rather than laying down our lives for others). As my daughter quickly figured out when we discussed this recently, vampires are an anti-Christ. I am thinking that is part of the draw to these stories. It is a view into the trajectory of life without Christ.  It is a story-mirror in which we see reflected our culutre's hopes and dreams. These stories play out in the world in which we live. They are a warning to  us because there are real life examples of those who 'feed' on others, using seductive skills and power to do it.

I watched the tv show Walking Dead last night. It is standard zombie story telling. It, too, raises questions. I went on line and found numerous serious philosophical papers on zombies. I (jokingly) told my wife that I am interested in zombies lately because I feel I have become one (one of the less appealing side effects of new baby!). I think that the show resonates with viewers who feel that they live world where there are forces at work which threaten us constantly. Although these are fictional, they also convey a real concern. The world is fragile. Society is held together but it can collapse. Anyone who has seen riots knows that the people we live among can just as easily feast on us. The tension in these programs echoes the tension so many feel living in a world where the economy and social structures are collapsing.

The idea of soul-less people is not too far fetched. In Deuteronomy God says "I lay before you life and death, choose life." Some people choose death in its myriad forms. Are there people who are 'walking dead" among us? Yes, if we mean spiritually dead. Once again, such people feed on others. That is the world without Christ. It is the world of flesh without Holy Spirit. I think the glut of zombie & vampire literature is a good thing if it raises questions in people's minds. What is the true source of imortality? How should one live? Is existence all there is to life? Dare I believe Jesus and give my life for others, rather than take the life of others so I can survuve?

No comments:

Post a Comment