Total Pageviews

Friday, October 28, 2011

Breaking Faith

This is confirmation preparation season in our parish. We use a program which employs adult mentors for each child. This year I was asked to do this by one of our young men. So he and I have been meeting. Yesterday we reviewed the Baptismal Covenant. There are six questions which a candidate is asked. The first three relate to conversion. We ask people to renounce Satan, the world and the flesh. These are the powers at work within us that draw us from our Lord. The renunciation of evil has taken the place of exorcism, which in other times and places was a prelude to baptism. The key idea is to recognize the power of evil (in all its subtle working) is real and that we must reject it.

Having turned from sin we then turn toward the Lord. Do you turn to Jesus Christ and accept Him as your Savior? This question is so important. I personally do not care for the language, I think it would be better "to acknowledge and embrace" Jesus as Savior. But I think it means the same thing. "Getting saved" is a big part of religious expression in the MidSouth. I have written before about how American consumerism and individualism have probably distorted our understanding of salvation. Hopefully, God will not demand that we understand everything correctly in order to be citizens in His Kingdom. In the end, we do need to understand that we are rescued from Satan, the world and ourselves by God's gracious act in and through Jesus.

That fact is hammered home by the next question: Do you put your whole trust in His grace and love? What is our way out of this mess called human existence? How do we escape the wounds and injuries, and ultimately, death? Who can set things right? I love the word trust because it conveys the act of giving one's self over to another. The word 'faith' can sometimes be reduced to a cognitive function, "I believe" means "I think" (or "I guess I think" in a weaker form). Most people claim that they "believe" in God. I know I do. Yet how often do I act as if God does not exist (or if He exists He does not matter)? Even most of the conservative Christians I know regularly engage in behaviors more reflective of secular culture than Christian doctrine. Trusting has to do with hope. My trust in God's mercy (grace and love) is needed because my belief in God fails to conform me to His will!

That brings me to the last question, Do you promise to follow and obey Him as your Lord? When we got to that question, the young man I am working with said to me, "Wow, that is really a big commitment." As we discussed it further he said, "That is probably the most broken promise in the world!"

I agreed with him.

I do not know if it is my congenital condition, if I was shaped into it by Catholic schools and my parents, if at some point I chose it or if it is the work of the Holy Spirit---what I do know is I have always been burdened with a keen sense of my failure to "follow and obey" the Lord. It is helpful to have friends (thanks Rick) who regularly remind me that God is at work in me. Despair and depression are NOT God given. Yet at other times, the awareness of what we are called to do and be, and how far we stray from that, is overwhelming.

As I ponder those commitments, I am aware that the Lord expects obedience. Too often the contemporary understanding of grace makes discipleship a sham. The last century how much of the resources God has blessed Christians with have been utilized for His kingdom? The answer is far too little. This is true of my time, talent and treasure as well! So should I sit around feeling guilty all day???? No, not helpful.

I am sure of this, the Lord would rather have me renounce Satan, the world and the flesh and turn to Him in obedience. He does not call us to endlessly rehash our mistakes, He calls us to repentance and discipleship. So today, my best choice, is to decide, again, to love and obey the One Whom I trust, my Lord, my Savior Jesus. IF the whole church does that today, it will be glorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment