Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Even Tax Collectors are welcome

Yesterday's Gospel at Morning Prayer was from Matthew 9. It included the story of the call of Matthew the tax collector. In the other Gospels (Mark and Luke) the tax collector is named Levi.

Some months ago when we were whittling down the baby names, I remember discussing the name Levi as a possibility. The next morning, in my prayer time, I opened to the Gospel and the headline over the section I was reading was Jesus chooses Levi. I remember thinking to myself, I guess Jesus has told me what name He likes. The rest, as they say, is history.

One wonders, why did the name Matthew replaced the name Levi? Obviously, it is not terribly important but it does impact for how we understand the Bible. The first option is that Levi-Matthew were the two names of the same man (like Paul-Saul or Simon-Peter). Another theory is that Matthew is a pun on mathetes which is Greek for disciple. Matthew is written in the Jewish style of the Old Testament where such puns are rampant. Another theory is that Matthew was a significant figure in the community which produced this Gospel and his name is enshrined for that reason. Whatever the cause, it shows us that the authors have a purpose which influences how they compose their Gospel. Divine inspiration includes human input.

In all three Gospels, the story is basically the same. Jesus calls him to follow. The tax collector responds. Jesus is at table with "outlaws" (tax collectors and sinners, although Luke changes sinner to 'others') which upsets the Pharisees (and Scribes in Mk&Lk). When asked why Jesus eats with "tax collectors and sinners" (here Luke includes that word, too) Jesus responds that healthy people don't need a doctor, the sick do. "I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

That is the Good News. The invitation from God extends beyond the usual suspects (religious and pious people). As a member of that latter group, perhaps I am being confronted with the truth that Jesus desires a different type of approach. It is hard, especially when one is older and tired. It is safer to teach Bible studies and provide counseling. I am good at those sorts of things. I am less certain where I should go and what I should do each day to be more like Jesus. Who are the outlaws in my area? How receptive would they be to eating with me?

Of course, it helps to remember that all of us, even the "religious," are sick and in need of a (Divine) Physician. It helps to know that we are all sinners. Perhaps that is the point: recognition of that fact. Jesus came for all of us and we need to recognize our need. All of us. In that case, my counseling and Bible study may be just what the Doctor ordered!

No comments:

Post a Comment