Total Pageviews

Friday, July 27, 2012

Sign of Covenant People

One recurring experience I seem to have is what I call 'new verses' in the Bible. I have sat down and read the Bible cover to cover a few times. I have read individual books dozens and more times. I have read passages hundreds of times. I have taught and preached on a good portion of the Bible. So it seems like I should not constantly be surprised by what I find. Yet, on a regular basis, I read something and find myself saying, "I never noticed that before." [Of course, sometimes it is underlined in my Bible so it looks like I might have read it!]

I try to keep the practice of reading through the Torah daily. My schedule does not always pan out, but yesterday I was reading Exodus 31. It begins with an explanation that God is pouring out His Spirit on Bezalel. The name means "in the shadow of God" but the Hebrew root is also close to "the image of God." Hebrew roots are notoriously significant in ways English words are not. The Hebrew scholar, Richard Friedman, is wonderful and he makes notes on parallels here and in the creation account in Genesis. Bezalel is an artist who is responsible for making the holy things of the Tent of Meeting. The elaborate discussion of all the ways the Spirit will work in him reminds us that creation of any type is the imitation of God. And the practical skills of the artisan are as much a work of God's Spirit as the spiritual gifts. It is all in how you use them!

Suddenly, out of no where, God tells Moses, "you shall observe my Sabbaths, because it is a sign between me and you through your generations: to know that I, YHWH, make you holy. I am familiar with the sign of circumcision, but somehow "they slipped this new verse in"! For some reason this jumped out at me. There follow a couple of verses about anyone who breaks Sabbath should be put to death, and then there follows a repetition of the command to keep Sabbath and the statement "Between me and the children of Israel it is a sign forever."

Christians generally negate this idea. We say Jesus is the end of the Law. [Except on issues which we think are still binding. I do not say this as a criticism. Morality is vital if we are going to live together. If bad people (more or less all of us) are free to do "what comes naturally" (self centered behavior) then society is in chaos.] But how does one read this chapter and take it seriously as God's word? And what should our view of Sabbath day be?

One important piece of data, it is directed to the Jews. I think it remains their issue. However, we non-Jews, as part of an extended covenant people, grafted in, per Paul, via our membership in Christ, we ought to be aware that Sabbath day is a sign of the covenant. We should hallow it and hallow the covenant between God and that people. That word "forever" stands out to me. It is no temporary thing...

Last Sunday our other priest preached. He talked about Jesus taking the apostles aside to rest. Rest is not a big value for me. I was challenged early on to work hard. Mind you, I can lay around and do nothing with the best of them, but my motivation is to work and my normal state is sleepy and tired. Apparently, according to what I read, that makes me just like most Americans. In fact, you hear on tv that they will sell you 'five hour energy' in a little bottle. There must be some takers! But God's plan included time set aside. How to do it?

We do well to have a period of prayer and Scripture reading daily. The longer the better. A daily sabbath, as a sign of our covenant with God. Creating a weekly Sabbath, preferably connected to our worship, is also a good idea. Consecrated time given to God and consecrated time for us. Ironically, rest may make us better. Interval training shows that hard work and rest, in recurring patterns, allows us to do more and do it more efficiently. And even if it doesn't it will make us more God's own. It will open us to be made holy. We are preparing for an eternity which will be  governed by God. Perhaps it is time to give Sabbath more focus.


No comments:

Post a Comment