Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Looking For God

I got an e-mail today about why churches are dying from a friend. In simplest terms, it is because so few of them connect people with God. I think there is a lot of truth in that. Often times churches seem to be glorified social clubs with a passing interest in conversion and a delight in pointing out the faults of others. Unfortunately, by saying this I am just one more person pointing out the faults of others. And that is THE Problem. Criticizing others is not limited to church goers, it is also done by non-goers!

What would a church look like that was more focused on connecting folks with God? I think it depends on your assumptions. Some would say lots of Bible studies. Some would say small groups. Some would say helping the poor and needy. Some would say retreats and prayerer times. Some would say "relevant" worship (meaning the kind of worship that they like). I think all of that is true so at my parish I try to do all of these things. I am not, however, convinced that we are all connecting with God. But at least we are on the right path.

My mind is pondering this because I read Exodus 33 today. I really love Exodus. It lays out the journey motiff (and my blog is called journey in faith for a reason). It reminds us that we have not made the final destination. Even if I believe in Jesus, I am still on a journey and it can still be dark and confusing. Chapter 33 starts with God telling Moses (basically), "you lead the people, I am out of here. If I hang with them I am going to kill them all because they are so bad." Look it up if you don't believe me. In fact, God says it twice. This is not the whole story on God, but it is something to keep in mind. He gets really sick and tired of our disobedience.

The other thing in chapter 33 is Moses' request that God show Himself. God reminds Moses that no one can see God and live. That is another interesting concept. In the end, God tucks Moses in a cleft of a rock, covers his face, and then lets him glimpse the backside of the Lord. But Moses does not get to see God's face.

Now some literalists will explain exactly how this happens blah blah blah. And some atheist literalists will explain how it all makes no sense and therefore blah blah blah.

Does God have anger issues? Does God need a time out to keep from "wiping us out"?
Does God have hands and a backside?

My assumption is God is bigger than our thoughts and words. And I really mean it. What that means is any talk about God is metaphorical. It is not literal because our language is too small to capture God. Words like love, truth, mercy, goodness--they cannot explain God because we have only seen them on a human level. A "smart" dog or a "smart" goat are no doubt able to do amazing things. But no one would take a smart dog or goat to college to learn algebra, accounting or astronomy (and that is just classes starting with A). When we say smart about animals it is a different meaning. Likewise, when we read stories of God they are all dumbed down so that we can read them. We don't get to see God's face, we see His backside, in other words, we get to see signs of His presence, but only after His absence.

No doubt the revelation of God in Exodus is to be taken seriously: about judgement, holiness and the encounter with the Divine. Our assumptions about how God would act are shaken by the (AUTHORITATIVE REVELATION IN THIS SCRIPTURE) actual content of these stories. But the power of the stories goes deeper than assuming this is "all there is to it," or worse, rejecting its truth because "it is too ancient and doesn't make sense to a smart modern person like me!"

If you h ave a hunger for God there is plenty here. Breath deeply and read them. These stories must be read slowly, prayed over and humbly submitted to. Of course, there are other chaptes in Exodus and other books in the Bible. Lots of revelation. Lots of information. But if God wasn't bigger than our thoughts about God, well God would not be God.

My suggestion, read it, reflect on it, discuss it with others, be open...

No comments:

Post a Comment