Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Keeping Easter in Perspective

On Memorial Day weekend, 1999, my dad died. It was a Saturday afternoon. The next morning I entered the pulpit at St. Mary's Cathedral to start my new job as the canon (assistant priest). I began my homily with the words, "I am Jeff Marx and I am your priest." At some point I mentioned that my dad had died the evening before. I remember saying that the Dean (the pastor) did not know, so he was as shocked as anyone. I know dad's wife was there. I do not remember what text I preached on nor do I recall anything else I said. I do not remember the actual date either.

Dad died at home. The whole family was gathered around his bed and we waited and watched. I have little 'video clips' in my head of that day. My brother had asked my dad for a sign when  he died. (He was not sure about life after death.) He got his sign. My sister had a most unusual experience as well. I saw it happen. She literally lurched and her face registered shock and amazement. Those two events would be mystical. I cannot prove anything by them; can't prove a thing. Still, I know they happened.

The third momet was when my (then) two year old son climbed up in the bed with dad and talked to him. It was a deep moment for me. It appears death was no barrier for a toddler. In those last days, as weak as he was, my dad had been able to lift Luke into his bed almost to the end. It appears dying is no barrier for a grandpa either.

SO why this reflection? In part because I know my siblings all have different memories of that time. I also know how faulty the memories I have are. I know there are some details which really stand out and so many important details which have faded into the land of "unremembery."

I have to think it was similar for the disciples. It was an emotionally charged time. Confusion, shock, fear, despair, self loathing, self preservation... The myriad of thoughts and feelings must have been like a violent storm in their minds and spirits. Then, suddenly, more craziness, crazier than the crucifixion. He is alive? He is alive! What do you mean He is ALIVE??!!!

What indeed. The stories in our Gospel do not easily blend together into a singular account. For some that is cause of alarm leading either to twisting logic in order to save the story, or rejecting it out of hand and embracing the darkness of doubt. I know both inclinations well. Yet my own experience tells me that in real life a group of people with a shared experience tend to portray events with their own peculiar emphasis. It really is not normal for everyone to agree on every detail. Some would say God should intervene to make the story perfectly accurate. I wonder, how often does God intervenes to make anything perfect in the church? Seems if we are the Body of Christ He should feel as compelled to work that miracle as He would writing the story. What I do know is, for all the discrepencies, one thing is clear: the tomb is empty and Jesus is gone. Also, equally clear, Jesus appeared to a variety of folks to remove all doubts that He was alive, raised from the dead.

So, that means this would be the most incredible day in history. Today we remember, today we recall bits and pieces of what is truly the greatest day in history. EVER.

So we need to keep Easter in perspective. As we celebrate today we need not worry that we can make a bigger deal of the resurrection than we should. Our challenge is not to make a smaller deal of it. We ought to respond to the resurrection of the Annointed King in proportion to what happened here. Nothing is too grand. See, Jesus indicates that the Final Consummation of God in creation is coming and already is. Jesus rising from the dead is the first fruit of that Final Event. So the resurrection is the beginning of the Last Age. God in Christ reconciled the world to Himself. God has raised Jesus. That is the most important thing that has ever happened. Anywhere. Ever.

So how can we not act like this is the biggest deal ever? That my friends is what happens when one fails to keep Easter in perspective.
Dear ones, the Lord is risen, He is risen indeed! Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment