Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Weight Loss

I generally write about topics related to faith and the Bible. I wander at times into philosophy. All of it is pretty pedestrian, not really terribly deep by the standards of the learned. On the other hand, it is plenty good enough for those of us holding down full time jobs and full time lives, with only short periods of time to ponder at all (much less ponder deeply).

I detour from my normal fare to share something that  has happened to my body in the last six weeks. I have shed a lot of weight. It has been quick and relatively painless. In a world where many folks struggle with their weight I wanted to write about what I am doing. Maybe it will help someone else.

I am a desk jockey. My life is spent reading, writing, studying and counseling. A chair is attached to my back end most of the day. Since the arrival of  the baby I have been less able to move at home. My daily forrays to the YMCA were about the sum total of physical exercise I could get. Always the owner of a voracious appetite (one of my earliest memories was crowing like a chicken about how many pancakes I had eaten at age 5) periodically my bulk increases to an uncomfortable level. The big difference in recent years has been the accompanying medical results. Numbers on the tests were not good. The doctor starts handing you prescriptions for medication to lower this and drop that. Middle age pharmacological syndrome!

For years I have made the decision to drop some weight. And I have done it, several times. I recall six months ago when I shed five pounds. "Good!" I said to  myself, "only five pounds to go and I will reach the weight I was when I decided I needed to lose ten pounds a year ago!" Inevitably, five off became five back on and the endless ups and downs included a slow trajectory of up.

I am not as young as I was when I was young (the sort of infallible statement I love to craft). And I am a father of three with one of them very early on the trail of life. My duties as a dad require that I continue to be productive (= can make a living and pay the bills) far beyond the original retirement date which I had set. A corollary of production is being able to produce. I know I need to be getting better, not slowly getting worse.

So I began in earnest and over a three week period lost that first five pounds and then I stalled..... Frustrated with myself I decided to notch up the effort. Then I read about the challenges of losing weight when you are imobile and sleep deprived. Those are two things which I have little control over. Cannot sleep if baby is up. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. I wondered if I had hope.Then I talked with a guy at the Y. He shared his new way of eating with me. I listened and reluctantly I decided to try out his plan. I had to do something besides prescriptions!

So I cut out grain. NO wheat, no oats, no cereal, no bread, no pizza, no spaghetti. And I cut out sugar. NO drinks, no ice cream, no sugar added anything. Basically, meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, and good oils. and Nuts. Week one of the new me coincided with week one of the "new me baby edition." Little one literally was up most of the night for a week straight. So I am unclear if I felt so bad because of a change in diet or not. But I made it through. Barely. And then I looked in the mirror and it was shrinking. Visibly. My gut was disappearing and in two weeks I had lost over ten pounds. Mind you, I was eating. I was not hungry all the time and protein heavy breakfasts seemed to tide me over better than the big bowl of All-Bran I was used to taking. Seeing the loss of inches and pounds motivated me to hang with it. On my follow up testing the doctor said all my numbers were back within the normal range. Two weeks is not a long time to get so much good news.

The rate of loss slowed, even seemed to stop for a week but then another burst. As of today I am down almost thirty pounds. Dropping slowly but surely week to week. I know some day I will eat some of what I am forgoing now again. But I will attend to what I eat. Acid reflux is no longer a nightly visitor. I am still tired because of things beyond my control. But I teach classes standing now, rather that sit at table with folks. I am parking across the street and try to walk for a couple minutes every now and then (little successes). When I play with baby I am conscious of dancing around and doing some movement. Again, nothing amazing but little things which can provide a chance to move. But the key is what is going in my mouth.

Vegetables. It is hard to get fat eating broccoli. You cannot eat enough. There are lots of salad possibilities. And smoothies can include all manner of healthy additions. Pear with spinach and celery anyone? My guess is everyone would not have the same success. Some, like me, may be brought to tears thinking of all the foods which are no longer part of the diet. I am weak. It is easier for me to not eat cake than it is to just eat a little piece. Anyhow, I have felt fine and have even begun running again. I did 3.5 miles Tuesday (slow jog). I am not now and have never been an athlete, but the fact is I can lift weights and do aerobics and feel pretty good. What I am eating allows me to continue to do exercise at a decent intensity.

Research it and be aware of your own personality. Maybe it will work for you. I know that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. I think that primarilly means the body of the church, i.e., corporately. However, there is a related sense in which it means the physical body of each one of us. Bodies are very much connected to spiritual journeys. And our physical disciplines are a road to spiritual disciplines. Being fat did not make me a better man, husband, father or priest. Being fat put me at increased risk of maladies. It is a good idea to be healthier.

Just wanted to share. If it inspires you or keeps you going, all the better!

1 comment:

  1. WTG! Getting in shape or better shape is one of the best things we can do for ourselves and for our families. I call it being "unselfish" as I attempt to eat healthy and exercise; however, it is truly very selfish also because I want to be as healthy as possible so I can enjoy life with my family and friends.

    ReplyDelete