Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Praying in Public

Last night I was the designated Pray-er at the Southern Legislative Conference. It is a gathering of State Congressemen from thirteen states in the south east section of our nation. They had a formal mela and paraded the flag of each state present. It was pretty exciting. I was tempted to begin with a joke about religion and politics, but decided it might send the wrong message. Instead, I said what I usually say in such circumstances.

I do not mind praying in public. I do refuse to make generic prayers. Some years ago an Episcopal Bishop was invited to serve as one of the people who prayed at the Obama inauguration. The bishop, someone with whom I have had e-mail contact in times past, made it clear that it was his intent to pray generically. He did not want to 'force' his Christian faith on others. I told him that if he planned to do that, if he had any integrity, he would also not wear his clergy shirt and collar. The bishop never did respond, as much as he and his buddies talk about "dialogue" they generally prefer to be listened to. I did see him pray on TV that day in his "full epsicopal garb", but my recollection is people were not paying much attention. The crowd seemed to all be chattering away. Maybe just as well, when churchmen dress up like churchmen but 'pray' like they aren't, maybe its best that no one listens.

I made the decision years ago that I would not do that. I would not deny Jesus and pray to "God" as if I had no idea what the content of the word "God" is. I also would not fail to pray in public the way I pray in private. However, I do think people deserve respect, even people of different faiths. So, I begin by acknowledging that there are people in the room of different faiths and perhaps no faith. I say that I want to respect that. Some Christians believe that all other faiths are little better than demonic. I am not inclined to that. (I have wrestled with that one in several previous posts. Enough to say, I think God is in charge of dealing with the errors of other religions and the errors of sincere 'other'believing people.) I think showing respect is the best way to garner respect.

Then, I tell people that I will pray out of a context of the Jewish Bible through the lense of the New Testament and faith in Jesus. That is my Bible and He is my Lord. I cannot and will not pray as though I were a minister of civil religion. Last night I prayed for wisdom and courage for these leaders. I asked God to help them know what is right and do what is right. I also prayed forgiveness for the failure to do right. I think important people in politics have many challenges. I think they are accountable for what they say and do, not only to citizens, but to Almighty God, the Creator and Judge. I think they need prayer, maybe even more prayer other folks.

I prayed in thanks for the blessings we take for granted in America, not just food but lots of good food. I prayed for those who prepared it and those who serve it. The 'invisible' people whom we also take for granted. I prayed that we would see them as models (think Jesus at the Last Supper). I hoped my prayer was sincere and I hoped God heard it. I hoped some how it was a means whereby a life was touched.

As we left last night, a yonug man came up to me and energetically explained that he had learned something that night. He told me that he was in Rotary and other civil groups and he now had a way to be respectful of others while maintaining his own integrity when he was asked to pray. He was pleased. So was I. God touched someone.

1 comment: