Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Left Behind

Living in a different world lately. Each day is filled with a particular project. Said project is to be completed on the day it is begun. Today is day three, so far, not so good.

We have been dealing with a tv and cable issue for three days. The new TV has been a constant reminder that I am "totally out of it." There are a series of letters which convey meaning to people who have some idea about all the new stuff. The directions are little help because they refer to things about which I have little understanding. Progress has left me behind. Perhaps I need to write my own "Left Behind" series!

We finally figured out we had the wrong cable, and now my wife is going to buy that one while I watch the baby one grunt and groan and chew on his hand. At some point today, hopefully within an hour, we will have a functioning tv set hooked up to cable (yesterday's goal) and I can get back to cleaning the garage (today's goal). The garage is harder work physically, but more easy for me to understand. I hope tonight to look back on all this and smile.

Being out of it is a sign of my age. I guess things will continue to change and I will fall farther behind. I still read actual books, many of them written by people from hundreds, even thousands of years ago. My interest in such things continues unabated. I find there is great wisdom in these people. The newer advances are not about wisdom. They are technological. Mind you, that is not a complaint. Soon we will be able to skype (spelling?) friends out of town. (We will talk to each other and see each other.) That is a wonderful thing. The TV has a much clearer picture and a capacity to hook up to computers which means my kids will be doing amazing things with them. That is also great. I can talk on a phone almost anywhere, that is amazing. Life is so much easier for us and richer in a variety of ways.

But wisdom is another thing. My baby will live in a world of amazing technology. As to wisdom? One can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment