Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Message of Doom

I got a letter today. It claims to be from a Christian named James who has received some messages from the Lord. He says in prayer last Summer God told him there would be major devastation in Texas, East Coast and Memphis. The fires in Texas and the hurricane/flooding in the east confirmed the vision. What remains is a major event in Memphis. Soon. He thinks it will  be an earthquake.

The tone of the letter is very humble and measured. In the church business I frequently receive this sort of thing. Much of it is related to money or threats. Every couple of weeks another African millionaire is dying, but wants to share some cut of his money for my willingness to accept the money for church work. For awhile it was one or two a day! There are also any number of warnings which cross my desk, usually based on a unique approach to bible interpretation. Some can be full of great bile while others are more sedate. The common theme is traditional Christianity is a farce and only this particular sect (with a dozen or so "scriptures" as evidence) has got the truth.

But today's letter is different. No money request. No threat against mainline Christianity. No Bible quotes to prove obscure points. Just a threat of an earthquake (soon), a mention of Luke 21:11 (eathquakes and signs of end times) and a humble exhortation to pray for revival.

Prophetic visisons are difficult to process. There have long been people receiving visison ('from the Lord') about pending natural disaster. The thing is, every year there are disasters. It is a safe bet to think somewhere there will be weather or geological events which claim lives. Somewhere a terrorist or an army will wreak destruction. Somewhere something is happening and it is not good.

But James has pinpointed for me a place (my home) and a time (soon). Is this from God? James admits he is not sure, that it might be his own imagination. But he felt a push to warn me (us) because of the confirmation in other places. Promises of bad things (be it the Virgin Mary's messages or some local prophet) have long been part of our extra-biblical "revelation" and it  has long been hard for the church to decipher what to think.

I hope there is no devastating earthquake here. Based on scientists who speak on the topic, it could be really, really bad if that happens. Eventually there will be one. Whether it is in the next few months no one knows. Except maybe James.

I will continue to live my life. I think every day is a gift. Every day something could happen, either locally or globally which could turn my (our) world upside down. Eventually "it" will happen. The main thing is Jesus. The main thing is being a disciple and living out of His abundance (and not all my stuff of my life). It is hard to do. Maybe God is fed up with me (us) living like He is an extra appendage to life. Maybe He is ready to wreak some judgment. We are not doing an amazing job of worship and obedient service. We probably are not grateful for all He does for us. We probably deserve judgment. But I hope James is wrong and I hope we are spared. Again. And again.

No comments:

Post a Comment