Total Pageviews

Friday, November 7, 2014

Did God Read my Blog?

If you read yesterday's blog you will see that I was demonstrating the ancient church model of 'spiritual' reading. I said the obvious, plain reading is (except in ethics) surpassed by the deeper spiritual meaning. I proceeded to look at some verse from Psalm 24 and focused in on water. So why is the title of the blog "Did God Read my Blog?"?

Early this morning I was preparing for Morning Prayer by reading the assigned scripture texts. I try to hear God in private prayer and prepare to hear Him again later in public prayer. It is also a chance to ponder it more and let it soak in.

Anyhow, yesterday I said that the plain meaning of the Psalm verse (God established the earth on the waters) was a direct reference to the creation account in Genesis 1, but that the deeper truth was God establishing Hid Kingdom over and against the forces of the enemy (human and spiritual) because waters also meant persecution, rejection of God, chaos and other anti-Kingdom of God (anti-christ). At the end, some folks might have said, "hmm, I think those cross references from Psalms are interesting, but I think Jeff is overstepping a bit."

So as I said I was reading today's assigned readings and one was from Revelation (Unveiling) 17. I will just share the verses that sort of jumped out at me:
17:1."Come I will show you the judgment of the great whore who is seated on many waters ...(6 the woman was drunk with the blood of the saints) 
17:15ff And he said to me, "The waters that you saw, where the whore is seated, are peoples and multitudes and nations and languages.

It is pretty obvious to me, that the "unveiling" (apocalypse) shows the waters to be nations (i.e. Gentiles) and the rest of the chapter makes clear that she is Babylon the Great (Roman Empire, and any institution which is not submitted to God). And (v.14) "the Lamb will conquer them" for He is Lord of Lord and King of Kings.

The Word of God, is the Word of GOD! If you don't go deep you reduce it to just human words. If you do not dig you will not find the treasure. And thankfully lots of digging has been done the last two thousand years. Read commentaries, especially OLD ones (like pre-600) and bring a shovel (prayer and patience!).

And the answer to the question. Did God read the blog, probably not. He may be involved in what gets written though....

1 comment:

  1. Of course he reads it... after he reads the other 152 million.

    ReplyDelete