Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Watchman

In the great opening salvo of narrtives about human beginnings, there is an interchange between God and Cain which is often quoted. "Am I my brother's keeper?" The stunning irony, Cain, after all, murdered Abel, is a huge part of the poignancy of the words. But, I think, there is a deeper resonance. The question of our relationship to one another is bigger than the simple story of God searching out a missing man. It seems fiar to say that the answer to the question, is "Yes, you are to take care of your brother, you are responsible." and in typical Hebrew fashion the subtlety of the story communicates a fuller message. The Murderer does not know it, but you should know it, "Yes."

Our culture is more focused on inidvidualism. We have a Cain-like comfort in thinking I am responsible for me (and no other). That sort of tendency ran into a divine wall for me on Sunday as I prayed over the morning prayer readings. It recounted Ezekiel's call from God (3:16-27). In simplest terms God told the prophet, your job is to tell them what I tell you. If they sin and you have  not told them I hold you accountable. I blame you! If you do tell them and they still sin, then it is on them. It is more involved than that, but the point is clear. The prophet's task is to do his (her) job of bringing the word of the Lord to God's people.

The idea of being responsible for the sin of another because I have failed to speak out haunts me. I am a priest, a pastor, a preacher, and I have a prophetic vocation. I am a priest in a church which has faithfulness and sin. I preach to a group which often pushes back, "too hard. too demanding." I wonder if it is true and I worry that I may not have enough grace and good news. Yet these words of God also incite me.

"They are a rebellious house" our God says of ancient Israel. I wonder if His opinion is any different today about Israel (the Jewish people) or about the 'new' Israel (the church). I think not. It seems like we are very much like them. I do not wonder if a priest is the keeper of his brothers and sisters. I know I am. I know I am responsible to speak the word. I know I am responsible to preach even when some bitterly complain and others walk away seeking a more palpable message. To speak God's word to a rebellious people is a gift and a task. It is made all the harder because in my own flesh and soul there is rebellion.

Fortunately, our God is stronger than sin and death, His love is mightier and more constant then our brokeness and rebellion. So good news is there. Turn back and live. That message always ends even the harshest message of judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment