Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Numbers

I was at a basketball game Saturday afternoon to watch my daughter and her friends. One of the moms told me that she looked forward to reading about the game and theology on my next blog. So not wanting to disappoint such a lovely lady, I begin with a brief reflection on what I saw and want to connect it to what I have been reading and studying latel.

The team is quite athletic, as many play on the high school soccer team, and as such they are pretty effective in the recreational league. In Saturday's game they were ahead by a large margin so they began the process of making sure every one got a chance to score. And time after time they tossed the ball to the remaining young  ladies with a "0" next to their name in the score book. Once the girl finally scored the team erupted in high fives, hugs and cheers. Nice kids.

Sort of like God in the Ancient Covenant  (OT) text. It is a story of constantly, after failure after failure, finding a way to make His people what they need to be. The Bible words is "longsuffering." That word summarizes God's heart.

The Book of Numbers, in the Torah, does not have a good reputation. It is generally dismissed as an enldess series of lists and no one speaks fondly of it in my experience. While I have been reading it the last month in my daily prayer time, I have come to appreciate it more. In fact, I used chapters 13&14 for our retreat on leadership and the church. As I studied the commentaries, though, I exploded with enthusiasm. You see, there is so much more there than I ever knew. The information I garnered drives me to write and share.

First of all, the Hebrew name of the book (from the Massoretic text) is "In the Wilderness." While I really am a numbers guy (most baseball fans have to be) I admit the Hebrew title is more inviting. In the wilderness comes from the opening verse of the book, it is the geographical (and spiritual?) setting for everything. The Lord spoke to Moses in the wilderness/desert of Sinai. God speaks in the Tent of Meeting, which is with the people in the desert/wilderness. This is key. God is WITH and AMONG them.

What is a wilderness? It is a desert place and hostile to human habitation. It is a land where there is not abundant life. As such it represents destitution and separation from God. "Like a dry, weary land without water" says the Psalmist. Ironically, the desert sojourn is also a positive symbol, sometimes used to remind Israel of "the good old days" when the people relied solely on God for their sustenance. (In our simplistic 'either/or' world we forget how complex and diverse reality is. Nothing in life it totally this or that. It is always a mix and what we emphasize is our choice.) However, the time of provision is also a time of testing; Israel is put to the test and tempted to complain and lose faith. They falter often. They also tempt/test God with their infidelity. (In fact, most of the first part of Numbers is about just that) The desert is far from civilization and as such serves as a counter to "the city." [In later ages, Christians will flee to the desert from the dangers of sin-cities. A movement which does not appeal to consumerist Western Christians.] Spiritual (symbolic) reading of this Biblical text will provide a richer insight into its deeper meaning.

The book of Numbers asks the question (and answers it to some degree), "How can a HOLY God live amongst an unclean people? How do justice, truth and perfection interact with injustice, untruth and imperfection? Does mercy and grace imply human behavior does not matter? Does love make one blind to the faults of others?" Numbers addresses the same questions which plague the church the last five hundred years (Reformation Period in the West). I believe that reading it will be a helpful source for our own reflection. Therefore I will return to this wonderful book in the coming week.



[I am greatful for the work of Thomas Dozeman, a Presbyterian seminary Professor in Dayton, who authored The New Interpreter's Bible, Volume II, commentary on Numbers. In addition, I read Dennis T. Olson, a Princeton Professor, from teh Interpretation series of commentaries. Probably both are available at local libraries for further study.]

No comments:

Post a Comment