Total Pageviews

Friday, December 16, 2011

Response to an atheist 3

I wanted to conclude this dialogue with Michael today. I am very appreciative of his willingness to publicly discuss this issue on this blog. While acknowledging that some have found this ponderous I do want to share I have had several e-mails indicating that it is helpful. With such a small readership I still have a wide diversity of reactions!!!

It seems Michael's main objection to God is really centered on Divine culpabiilty for evil in the world.

First of all: The problem of evil is NOT theoretical. Sometimes Christian apologists make an error in treating it as such. For people who have experienced severe suffering or watched others suffer, the issue of evil is overpowering and wondering about responsibility is overwhelming. In the end, those shaped by the (children's version) story of the Garden of Eden have a hard time understanding how eating an apple justifies mass starvation, murder, rape, torture and all the other results. [I think Genesis is much deeper than this, but I have to admit many popular versions of Christians are not too much deeper than this.] Hence, Michael's statement (to paraphrase) that IF there is a God then God owes us an apology, must be heard, acknowledged and respectfully refuted (or sadly affirmed).

I am not foolish or arrogant enough to think I can answer this issue. However, I have wrestled with it myself, sometimes personally with the heart and other times dispassionately with the intellect. I want to share a few things which I hope are helpful (if not for an atheist, than for a struggling Believer).

1. I read this in John Chrysostom and it made sense: much of the problem of evil and suffering has to do with our own perspective. He wrote about God's Providence while slowly dying in exile for his faith. A renowned preacher and Bishop, his last days were spent shivering and sick, pondering the mystery which he was living/dying into. His point is, therefore, not simply words. It is his shared faith. We must admit that there is a subjective element to all of this. Perhaps some of our complaints against God are not legitimate. In reality, our perspective very much influences how we understand something. His point is, IF we could see things from God's perspective, some of what we call evil may be not so bad as we think. This does not answer every aspect of the question, but it is certainly true about some things.
2. The nature of a creation, if it is material, has to be recognized. Only God is perfect. Contingent beings are not God. Therefore anything created is not perfect (in the sense that God is perfect). Diversity causes some problems. I do not think we ponder enough, that the cost of a creation is the possibility that the diverse entities may cause damage to each other. A rock rolling down a hill crushes a flower. Is it the rocks fault? Should God have made a creation without rocks (or flowers)? Some might argue uncrushable flowers would be better, but would such a flower ever adorn a dinner table, hat or a lapel? Once a creature with limits is created, those limits produce the possibility for some sad thing to happen.
3. Human evil is a direct result of freedom. If we are free to love, we are also free to not-love. While some evil in the world is a result of nature being nature (a tsunami or earthquake or fire) much of the evil we see is human created. Does God owe us an apology because some people chose to use their talents to wreak havoc? Or is God supposed to intervene (miracle = breaking the laws of nature)? Should God limit freedom to prevent suffering? What then of human responsibility? Would the human person grow in an environment where God was always there to rescue us from our choices?
4. What is the purpose of life? What is the point? Maybe we are supposed to obey first and ask questions later (not something I am adept at, unfortunately!). My sense of things is God has given over to us a great deal of autonomy. We were created to be Lords over the creation. Why did He do this? The Bible does not explain. In fact, both OT and NT seem to indicate that God does not feel compelled to answer us. Perhaps this is part of the answer. Remember who we are and remember who God is. [Admittedly not a real compelling argument for an atheist...] I was taught that life on earth was meant to "grow a soul" and become what we are meant to be. [what about dead babies, children, etc.???] The struggles are the stuff out of which God shapes us into our future self. It does not make it understandable, but it does remind us to keep pushing.

In the end, LIFE IS A MYSTERY. Even really smart people cannot figure it out. Does God owe us an apology? Not since Calvary. God embraced it all. He shared in it. This will be the theme of my Christmas homily. Whatever else an atheist, or anyone, wants to say about God, if Christianity is true (it is!!!) then God has paid the price for creation. And if God owes us an apology, my guess is we will get one some day. Perhaps the more pertinent question is, "If I exist, do I owe God an apology?" My belief is that we humans have much more to apologize for than God does. Of course, I am guilt ridden. [But maybe, we should all be guilt ridden?] And I trust that God is merciful. I cannot write anything to make Michael, or any atheist, have a conversion. I can say, I understand you pain, your struggle, your questions, brother. I do not know why I believe, except the Christian faith seems believable. I now I have lots of doubts and questions. I also know, that some day I will find out, or disappeat into earth. I am betting on Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment